Saturday, April 23, 2011

Divine skies

A cloud formation almost resembling a cross.
Okay, never mind why I picked the title "Divine skies". I was on assignment for a newspaper article having to do with Good Friday, which was observed by Christians here in Malaysia on... well... Friday, April 22.
The article talked about what Good Friday basically is and what the local churches are doing in conjunction with this, and Easter Sunday two days after.
After meeting up with my co-worker at the Sarawak Club here in Kuching (and admiring her uncle's gorgeous silver-coloured Bentley Continental GT), we walked downhill to St Joseph's Cathedral for a look-see, hoping to get some shots for the story. It was 3pm on a sizzling hot Friday afternoon at the time, and yes, we were sweating away like it was nobody's business! If not considering how packed the church parking was, we wouldn't have parked our cars at the Sarawak Club parking space. But no biggie...

There were a couple of great scenes, particularly of a group of youngsters exiting two school buses and crossing the road to get to the Cathedral on the other side, but my eyes were fixed on the beautiful, almost divine sky right above the church. In one area, there was a thin layer of cloud lining up the sky in a fluid motion.
I didn't really have much time to spend on photos for my personal projects, because I had to focus on what to take for the article, so what I did was I took out my camera, with a 12-24mm pre-attached before I got on location, and just very quickly composed the shot you see above. I didn't use any filter, but there was, however, a polarizer attached to the 12-24mm, which helped to define the sky and cloud formation a tad.
I didn't notice much at first, even after taking the snapshot of the scene, because it was very bright that afternoon and I couldn't really see the pictures quite clearly on the LCD display. But when I got home from all of that, and I opened up the shots in Lightroom, I quickly noticed a part of the sky where the cloud formation almost resembled a crucifix. Not that I am implying or claiming anything, it's just that I felt it was so appropriate for the cloud formation to appear at the very hour a special mass was being held on that Friday.
Anyway, another thing I noticed for the first time is the statue of St Joseph within the vicinity of the church. I mean it's always been there, but I never really noticed it until now. That pretty much tells you how long I haven't been to church... or, perhaps, all this while that I attended church, I never really looked around and notice all the beautiful sculptures within the church compound. So I took a couple of minutes to get some shots of the statue, with the church in the background, and of course the beautiful blue sky above. Long story short, see the photo attached below:

Statue of St Joseph.
Alright, well, stay tuned for the next following posts. Yes, yes, I know it's been ages since we've posted anything on this blog. It's only because we've been so ridiculously busy with everything that we haven't been able to spare an hour or two writing about the stuff we do and uploading photos on this blog. But, you know, we'll try our very best to keep posting stuff on here... Cheerio! Mark, signing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment